Capricious Vicissitude

No regrets. The rebuilding of "the other woman".

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Friday, October 19, 2007

Memory Jolt

While cleaning out my closet today I got yanked back to a place I really didn't think I would ever go again. I found his CDs. I thought I had removed all traces of him,,and there he was. The first,,the young Mike,,so freakin young and beautiful. Incredible raw voice. Not yet wise enough or aged enough to have the soul that he sang with later. Boundless energy in that young Mike. Cocky and fiesty and so damn good. I remember the first time I heard him sing,,he brought his guitar over one lunchtime and just sang for me. I sat and marveled at the talent,,the beauty of the voice,,the beauty of the man. How could anyone sing like that? Sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace ,,music scattered across the table,,"pick two" he would say,,and he would sing for me. Lunches at the park,,singing,,listening,,brainstorming and analyzing. The many days and nights he would arrive guitar in hand to see what I thought about this version compared with that one. The second CD,,,God the memories. I remember us being in my bed and him drifting,,"there is a song in me right now". Holding me,,composing in his mind,,talking through what would become Wonderland. The tears in his eyes when he was formulating the words,,reaching for his guitar and working through bits of the music to go with the words his brain was spinning. Hotel in Dallas playing through different songs,,still working on Wonderland,,trying to build the new CD. Searching for the perfect songs. Asking,,have you written anything for her? Anything for Sam,,,and then hearing Sams Lullaby for the first time and knowing,,insisting it had to be on the CD. Never has a father loved a son like he does. The myriad of phone calls,,,which song first,,,too much bass?,,,cover design?? The recording sessions,,meeting before and after. Pep talks,,listening.
I sat and held the CDs for quite a bit trying to decide if I could listen to them or not. What would his voice do to me? Had it been long enough? Was it worth the risk? Of course it was. I loaded the CD player,,,pushed play,,,and let the wonder flow. Still the same amazing voice. Still powerful. Still magical. Still Mike. It has been long enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home